Tuesday, February 23, 2010

February Hits & Misses

Greetings fellow bloggers!!

I've missed a few blog posts this month 'cause I was on VACATION!!!

Sorry to leave you all behind, but I'm going to make it up to you by posting three different cards today. Angela's challenge for February over at the HCCC was a doozy this month. Really challenging. So challenging that I ended up creating four different designs, not quite happy with any of the results. The designs seemed great in my head, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

Here's the first card I came up with:


I really like this card, and I think out of the four designs it is my favourite, but I didn't submit it for the challenge. I like the stamps and the colours, I just find the end result to be quite overpowering. I thought "I can do better than this!" and I went back to the drawing board.

In my second attempt, I tried to incorporate the wrapping paper that was the inspiration for the colour choice:

It's okay.... not great. And I thought that by using the wrapping paper, I was cheating, so I started over and tried again.

My third attempt was fun. I got to use the guitar and "Rock On" stamps from Unity that I have been dying to use ever since I picked them up from the mailbox:

I liked it as well. The whole design is popped up off of the base using dimensionals, and I embossed the "Rock On" (love embossing!). I also put a few staples on the card to give it that 'rock' edge.

If you want to see the card I submitted for the challenge, head on over the HCCC blog and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Marnie!! That first card is A-freaking-Mazing!! I love that stamped center panel. I would have NEVER ever that of putting all those stamps together! I love the final effect (note to self: totally going to copy that idea with those stamps!) And the layout is great - love the sparkly little sparklies in the corner. What a beautiful card.
And I really like the staples on the 'Rock On' card too. You're right, they were the perfect embellishment to give it that rocker edge. You totally ROCKED that challenge :)